Guided tour of Valencia and the cinema of Berlanga
- Tour of an hour and a half through places that evoque Berlanga’s experiences and memories in València.
- Route through the historic district: Ayuntamiento Square, Luis Vives School, Norte Station, Bullring, Ruzafa Avenue, Rialto Cinema, Hotel Londres, former Bar Torino (San Vicente Street), Tapinería Street and Forcalló Mansion.
- Discover how València influenced the director’s cinema, lending it a Mediterranean and joyful nature, films that he himself described as ‘inspired by the Fallas festival, pyrotechnical and filmed relying on the instantaneous inspiration of pensat i fet’ (said and done).
- An official tourist guide will take you through various settings in his beloved native city.
- 15% discount if you also buy the València Tourist Card.
Berlanga’s innovative cinema
Following the trail of Luis G. Berlanga through the city that saw him grow into adulthood and where he always returned to seek inspiration allows us to decipher much of the symbolism in his films. València is bound up with his personality, profoundly Mediterranean and enlightened. He paved the way for a new cinema in Spain, with an innovative viewpoint.
Berlanga is Spanish society, suffering yet happy. It is a Spain that finds in its cinemas an imaginary of promises …
This tour conjures up those cinemas, cafés, social gatherings filled with conversation, shopping for erotic books … forming the story of a young adolescent who traded in philosophy and literature for the cinema and whose films put forward philosophical arguments that made us reflect on our lives.
Touring the settings of Berlanga’s life
It all began at the Rialto Cinema, where, as he himself said, he had a revelation while watching Pabst’s Don Quixote …
This and other spots are the common thread of a tour that will take you to locations from his childhood, straddling the urban expansion area and the historic district, his early education, his personal relationship with the world of the Fallas festival, his museums, his social gatherings, his café chats, and his València CF …
Book your chance to really get to know this genius who left behind such classics as The Executioner, Plácido and Welcome, Mister Marshall!
Location: Ayuntamiento Square Tourist Office
Languages: Bilingual (Spanish-English)
Next date: Saturdays. April–September: 6.00 pm. October–March: 4.00 pm
Minimum age: 1
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Price: From 10,40€